Wednesday, June 21, 2006

In Search of the Good Stuff

In the absence of any parties in Australia that I could wrangle photos of, I’ve had to go out of the country to find our Aussies. Don’t worry my commitment to D-Grade
celebdom hasn’t diminished but if Muhammad won’t come to the mountain…



Another note - last week a reference was made to Tiffani Wood (who sadly, isn't in this edition - Tiff where are you?) and The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas. For those who aren't sure - yes, this is actually a real movie and the title did say Whorehouse. It's classic Dolly trying to save all her little whores when the crazy religious zealots try and shut down said whorehouse. If you've got a free Saturday afternoon, check it out and learn the show stopping numbers such as A Lil' Ole Bitty Pissant Country Place and the wonderful instrumental Courtyard Shag. Moving stuff.


Danii Minogue & Shane Warne (UK)

Talk about the celebrity duo of cringe. Danii obviously needed some friends (aka: people who photogs can snap) at her album launch. But I question the need to invite Shane Warne and his hair – they would have to be separate invitations because the size of that cow lick is impressive. I’m not actually sure when cow licks became fashionable but I think Shane may be the only one who followed through with the trend. Danii’s dress is actually very nice but I’m guessing they ran out of black ribbon because there doesn’t seem to be a good reason for the gap!


Erika Hairnets (TM EL 2006)

Just when we thought Erika had proven us wrong, just when we thought fashion enlightenment had dawned she goes and does this. Clearly opaque tights are THE THING for winter – we get that loud and clear but they are tricky numbers to work around an outfit. The dress is not bad at all, not fantastic but hey what are you going to do? For me, it’s the shoes – the 1980’s Speed’s court shoes IN RED!! They are quite possibly the ugliest shoes EVER and that’s saying something. I can’t comprehend how anyone let her stand in front of camera looking like that.


Mia Hewitt

Don’t look at Bec ‘cause this one ain’t about the Yummy Mummy it’s all baby Mia and her fashion choices. That’s right we breed them young here at HLOD. I’m loving the summer dress with flowers, and what a great length – perfect to hide that baby fat. The hair is simply styled and good effort on refraining on the accessories - would have looked cluttered. My only critique is the sad face Mia, what’s troubling you so? Life must good with Mum and Dad making a packet and Dad’s even back in winning form. So lighten up little Mia – it’s all good!



















Nicole Kidman – A Now and Then retrospective

These are two very different women and yet, they are one and the same. The fresh faced, ringlet curled BMX Bandit (and wasn’t that the greatest movie EVER! I so wanted to be her). Yes, there is the tragic fashion outfit, but hey, it was the 80’s - everyone was fashion retarded. Look back on your photos, you probably can’t do any better. But the sparkle in the eye is palpable – the excitement brewing in her about the amazing career opportunities ahead.

Fashion fast forward to now and it’s a very different story. Poor Nicole, under siege and overwhelmed. Strangely this tiring time is not showing on her face, it’s incredibly smooth and milky white …hmm wonder how that happened?! Recently Nicole has been sporting this interesting hair do…it’s almost like she’s had doll hair implanted…it makes me awfully nostalgic for those over the top red curls. Curls of fire and spirit, curls of pre-messed up marriage with scientology freak happiness. Curls of Aussie achiever and awesome kids movie…oh how I miss those days.


Stephanie McIntosh

Some people think I have it out for Stephanie, that I’m some twisted deluded Ramsey St stalker who wants only to ruin Skye Mangel’s life. This, my friends is not the case – in fact I don’t mind Steph at all. It’s just I see so much more in her. All the assets are there but it’s the execution that fails almost every time and again we witness a tragic it could have been good moment but no. I can already hear shouts of what’s wrong with this humble little number? Well, nothing at all and everything in between. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, Steph you need to dress for your size. And I’m not saying you’re a fattie. In fact, I’ve seen you in person round Melbourne town – you’re small. For some unknown reason though, you seem to wear clothes that expand your hips. I know hipster dressing is all fashion but honestly, I think it’s time to recognise your weaknesses and change direction. I’m also not a huge fan of the Barbie hair but that’s a choice you make. Also the baggie grey jumper – it’s a bit low-key for a press call. Next time spruce it up a bit.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Update Me! Feedback Me!
Want to know when the next tall poppy session is posted?
Email me with subscribe in the subject line.
Feel that someone got too much truth or not enough?
Email me...go on I dare you.
Lady Harsh

Links
Archives